Re: Redi Strip-- Pros vs. Cons

To: CyberKermi@AOL.COM
Subject: Re: Redi Strip-- Pros vs. Cons
From: bugide@juno.com (Larry Dickstein)
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 08:30:19 EST
        Well, Tom, the dip 'n' strip method is pretty neat and pretty
expensive.  I didn't use the Redi-Strip brand, mostly because they don't
have one in Kansas City.  It is not a new idea.  Some will tell you
horror stories of how they heard of someone who had their paint ruined
after the stuff came oozing out a year later.  Mine has been close to
five years and there is no oozing.  I never knew anyone who actually
witnessed this event-a lot of "my brother-in-law knew someone's neighbor
who had it happen" stuff.  After the stripper part, the body is dunked
(soaked) in a neutralizer of some sort and then covered in a waxy type
stuff too prevent surface rust.  The orange color will appear in about an
hour on bare metal.
        The reason that the process is so expensive is that the EPA regs
are considerable (as they should be).  Add OSHA and the horrendous cost
of disposing of the waste and there you are.
        The car must be stripped to absolutely nothingness before you
have it dipped.  You must have some way to transport it to and from the
facility.  You have to be able to work fast in order to clean off the
waxy coating to prime it before surface rust occurs.  They will not let
it go from the facility w/out the coating as they know that "I'm going
home to prime it right this very second" can mean "I'll get to it a week
from Saturday" and surface rust will, by next Saturday, require another
dipping.
        All in all, an expensive but thorough method.  I'd do it that way
again.  If you consider all the $22.50 gallons of stripper you'd use, all
the time involved, your health considerations from breathing the stuff,
AND where are you going to put the stripper/paint/ rags/etc., when you
are through?

Larry Dickstein
bugide@juno.com

There is no problem that cannot be solved
with either a checkbook or high explosives.

On Sun, 9 Nov 1997 22:45:53 -0500 (EST) CyberKermi@aol.com writes:
>the Redi Strip Company....They adverstise their "Alkaline Immersion"
paint stripping method. Sounds like a gift from god (probally
outrageously