Re: Engine replacement options (non-MG)?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Engine replacement options (non-MG)?
From: Benjamin Ruset <bruset@monmouth.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 21:44:25 -0500
>Of course MGBs can be reliable.  I put atleast 100mi a week on my 76,
>driving it to school & back (70 miles) atleast once a week.

100 miles a week is nothing. I put about 50 a week on my Mercury.

>A rebuilt MGB engine can be purchased from around $1800 (give or
>take some).  Converting to a foreign engine will probably cost less,
>but will be much more difficult...you'll be doing a lot of fabricating
>to the car, etc.  Plus resale value, should you ever sell it, would
>go down I would imagine.

Plus you'd have to keep the bonnet down at shows! =) Seriously, unless you
have money to burn, an engine swap isn't the way to go. You'd end up
fabricating so much more than what you would need to do to just get another
MG engine installed.

>>      You're right, of course.  I guess a different engine wouldn't change
>> the fact that I'd have to order some parts.  I was thinking of things
>> like water pumps, though.  I've had one go on the MGB, and I was down for
>> quite a while.  But, that was before I knew of Victoria or Moss.  But the
>> economy thing still is pretty important.  Looking in my JC Whitney I see
>> engine rebuild kits for several engines ranging from $130 to $230, which
>> includes gaskets, rings, pistons, and bearings.  For my 'B, Moss wants
>> $250, just for the pistons alone.  <snip>
>
>Special Interest Car Parts wants $300 for an engine rebuild kit...the
>typical replacement parts required.

I have learned that Moss does not provide with the best prices out there.
But then again, look at the logistics. The MG engine is a British engine
that has been pretty much out of production for 17 years. Foreign car parts
are ALWAYS expensive, plus you tack on the fact that the parts aren't being
made in massive quantities, etc. I would think that $300 is quite fair for
what you are getting.

As for water pumps... yeah. Things go. Water pumps are expensive - even for
old American iron. Your best bet is to find a parts car, or a local
junkyard and get on their good side.

BEN RUSET - http://www.monmouth.com/~bruset
78 MGB Roadster - 89 Mercury Cougar
"If you gaze for a long time into an abyss,
 the abyss gazes also into you." - F.W. Nietzsche