Re: TR7 Musings

To: Chris Delling <saschris@flash.net>
Subject: Re: TR7 Musings
From: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (John McEwen)
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 1997 10:58:25 -0500
Hi Chris:

The plaid interior of the TR wedges seems to be universally vilified,
however I thought it worth mentioning that at least two auto companies
didn't think so.

While visiting the Monterey and Pebble Beach Concours some years ago, I was
thrilled to see that one of the visiting cars was a Mercedes W196, sent
over from Stuttgart just for the occasion.  As I have always been a fan of
GP racing of the '30s-early '50s, I knew that this was one of the greatest
of all the classic racers.  It was quite marvellous to see it circling the
Laguna Seca track at speed with Phil Hill at the controls.

Later, at Pebble Beach, the car was parked at the concours so that all
could see and admire it.  Imagine my surprise when I saw that the seats
were covered in a brown plaid material - not unlike the TR7.  As I also own
a Chrysler New Yorker Highlander which features plaid upholstery, I
couldn't help but feel that the poor old TR7 had at least one redeeming
feature.

John McEwen