Re: MGB Clubs

To: DANIEL RAY <danray@bluegrass.net>
Subject: Re: MGB Clubs
From: drded@ix.netcom.com (David Deutsch)
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 19:43:07 -0600 (CST)
You wrote:

>Listers:
>Here's an innocent question which I hope doesn't stir up too much
controversy:
>Which club/register should I join? AMGBA, or NAMGBR? I've seen both of
the web pages, but I haven't seen the AMGBA magazine. They seem
similar, just wondering which one is MORE worth the $25-30 annual.
Seems to me spending that kinda money annually warrants some
investigation.
>TIA
>Dan

Hello Dan,

As Membership Coordinator for North American MGB Register let me give
you my UNBIASED opinion. If you you are going to choose one NAMGBR is
the logical choice. It is the only MGB club run by it's membership with
an executive committee elected to office by it's members. Every
membership dollar goes towards it's member's best interest. AMGBA is a
business with it's owners profitting from it's member's annual fee.

As far as the publications goes, NAMGBR runs only original material,
the majority of which is member submitted. It is a 60 page publication
chock full of info every other month.  AMGBA runs more stuff from this
list than it does original material. I do not like it's new format
either. They recently changed from a very nice magazine quality issue
to a news print type paper that reminds me of the weekly "coupon
clipper" rag that is tossed in my driveway each week. They also are a
every other month publication.

Annual Convention: NAMGBR runs an annual convention each year in a
different part of the country. It is an MG only event and is opened to
all model MGs. Affilated chapters of the Register take care of local
organization and arrangements. This year it is in Maryland. Last year
it was in Buffalo and was my first time at a NAMGBR Convention. IT WAS
THE BEST EVENT I HAVE EVER ATTENDED!!! and I believe Maryland will be
even better. AMGBA selects an annual event somewhere in the country and
calls it their Convention.

Upon joining the NAMGBR you will receive a dash plaque with your
membership#, a service recommendation guide/membership roster with
names addresses and phone #s of NAMGBR members which is prvided so you
acn contact a fellow member while traveling anywhere, a membership card
and a NAMGBR decal.

Send me your address and I'll be more than happy to get some additional
info about the NAMGBR out to you ASAP.
Safety Fast,
David Deutsch