Re: Am I crazy?: Soon to be new B owner

To: David Altman <DAltman@novations.com>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Am I crazy?: Soon to be new B owner
From: Mike Hartwig <mhartwig@cbu.edu>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 1997 14:29:34 -0600
At 12:11 PM 12/30/97 -0700, David Altman wrote:
>Hello all-
>
>       I've been lurking around here for the last few weeks, trying to
>increase my MGB knowledge from zero.    Next Friday I'm going to drive
>from Salt Lake to Kansas City to buy my friends brother's 1977 B.  I'm
>actually taking my friends Harley to his brother and he is giving me the
>B for $125 bucks to cover his back taxes.  So basically its costing me
>the 125 plus another 125 to rent a tow dolly plus gas for my new
>project.

Wow, what a deal.  You can't get a car much cheaper than that.

>       I've gotten a buch of pictures and the car looks a pretty good
>shape considering this guy hasn't done anything to it.  The only real
>rust is some cosmetic rust on the passeger side in front of the trunck.
>He says the floor boards and rocker panels etc. are rust free.   The car
>runs but goes through plugs in a manner of hours.  Looks like it will be
>in need of a engine overhaul.   Top needs replacing, but the interior
>looks in pretty good shape.    I know I'll sink some initial cash
>overhauling the engine and buying a new top, just to get it road worthy.

Fouling out plugs doesn't necessarily spell engine overhaul.  First things
that
come to mind are carbs adjusted improperly, and a weak ignition system.
check those before plunking the change down for an overhaul.

>       You guys have mentioned a bunch of books in your dialogues.
>Which 2 would you recomned as I start this adventure?      Any initial
>thoughts before I pull the engine out?

David, I have four books in my collection. Haynes, Chilton's, Lindsay
Porter's Guide, and the Bentley manual.  For engine overhauls and in-depth
coverage check out the
Haynes book.  It's excellent for overhauls.  The Chilton's is mediocre in my
humble opinion.  The Porter book is good for a good overlook of many jobs
which need to be performed on MGBs, like rocker repair, and floor pan
repair.
It also contains some history and specs and covers things like performance
upgrades.

The first book I would buy if I were you, would be the Haynes book and then
the Porter book.  Try to buy as many as you can as sometimes you will find
one
book is horrible in one aspect while others are quite sufficient in that
one category.

>thanks!
>
>David Altman

Anytime David.  Good luck to you.