Re: MGB vs. TR7 as son's first car( Now in defense of RBBMGs

To: mcarter@score.com
Subject: Re: MGB vs. TR7 as son's first car( Now in defense of RBBMGs
From: dmeadow@juno.com
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 1997 15:57:58 -0600
Not that anyone asked me, but it is a _real_ slow day at work and the
devil finds work for idle hands!

As a member of Bill Easton's Club for Self-Congratulatory MGA Owners
(BECSCMGAO), I have no particular bias with regards to RBB's or CBB's.
Perhaps, therefore, I can weigh an emotionless opinion (I know you are
all just holding your collective breaths out there ;-)).

The rubber bumper thing itself is obviously a personal decision.  Some
might find it ugly and others think it is cool.  Personally I think they
look strange on a roadster but not bad on the GT.  However, that is a
matter of personal taste, so there is no such thing as one being "better"
than the other.

Pat has some very good reasons for going with a RBB, most of which have
to do with the fact that they are all younger cars.  He does not mention
the drawbacks, however, which are mainly 1) lower horsepower and
increased complexity due to emissions controls, and 2) crappy handling
due to increased ride height (originally done to conform to US bumper
height restrictions).  As long as you can live with the former, the
latter is relatively easily fixed.

Am I missing something, or aren't those really the only issues?

David Littlefield
Houston, TX