Re: MGB vs. TR7 as son's first car( Now in defense of RBBMGs

To: pbailey@qnet.com
Subject: Re: MGB vs. TR7 as son's first car( Now in defense of RBBMGs
From: dmeadow@juno.com
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 1997 11:53:14 -0600
On Tue, 30 Dec 1997 20:25:37 -0800 Patrick Bailey <pbailey@qnet.com>
writes:

>>I think the main objection to the rubber bumpers,at least my main
>objection,is they are black!This makes the car look too big in the
>front.My solution was to paint them to match the car and the
>difference is amazing!

I saw a dark red car recently with this treatment.  It is a major
improvement.  It makes the car look more like an integrated design, as
opposed to an old design with huge bumpers strapped on.

>Next all the smog stuff can come off

Not in my area and many others.

>I would bet a good 79 B would out perform a MGA!

I think that depends on how they are set up, which "A" you mean, and what
you mean by "out perform."  My Mark II MGA with a 1622 engine has more
horsepower in its stock configuration that a stock (smogged) 79 B.  I
daresay it would go around corners better as well, if the 79 has its
original suspension, particularly since the Mark II came with a standard
anti-sway bar.  However, a stock 1500 would have more trouble keeping up.
 Of course, a CBB would blow the doors off either A.  Of course as a
member of the Bill Easton Club of Self-Congratulatory MGA Owners
(BECSCMGAO), I must hasten to add that the MGA will LOOK _really_ good
while this is happening!

If you have the smog stuff off, added 70 series tires and tube shocks, I
can't see any stock A keeping up.  But then, that wouldn't be fair, would
it? ;-)

To each his own pleasure and poison!

David Littlefield
Houston, TX