Re: Supercharged LBC

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Supercharged LBC
From: "Jerry Causey" <reecau@whidbey.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 1998 19:25:50 -0800
> Mike Lishego wrote:
> >
> > I hate to show my general automotive ignorance, but can someone explain to
>me the
> > difference between superchargers, blowers,and turbo units?
Supercharges are positive displacement air pumps. They pump a particular
quantity of air into the engine for every revolution they turn, so the effect
is noticeable at every point in the engine's RPM range.  The boost pressure
remains more or less constant across the engine's entire RPM range. A blower is
an Americanism for a supercharger. A turbo is a pair of fans (turbines) mounted
on a common shaft. One sits in the exhaust stream and is spun by the exhaust
pumped out by the engine. The other fan sits in the intake stream and pushs air
into the engine. The faster the engine spins, the faster the turbo spins, and
the larger the volume of air pushed into the engine. Generally speaking, turbo
boost increases as engine RPMs increase.

Regards,
Jerry Causey