RE: Supercharged LBC

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Supercharged LBC
From: Grant Shirreffs <Grant.S@greatelk.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 1998 16:37:17 +1300
Superchargers are not necessarily positive-displacement.  A supercharger
is just any kind of mechanical device for stuffing more air into the
engine than it could normally inhale.  Superchargers are either:

- driven off the drive shaft of the engine they are enhancing
- driven by a turbine spun by the exhaust gasses of the engine, in which
case it is a turbo-supercharger, or just turbocharger
- driven by a completely separate engine (I believe some research
aircraft of the 30s used this)

It may well be that most engine-driven superchargers for automobile
engines are PD pumps, but centrifugal superchargers do exist.  Most
high-performance aircraft piston engines use centrifugal superchargers.
The only difference between a supercharger and a turbocharger is in the
manner in which they are driven.

Blower is just a colloquial term for a supercharger.