Re: Rear speakers....

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Rear speakers....
From: richard.arnold@juno.com (Richard D. Arnold)
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 1998 23:54:45 EST
JAY> [Quoting Me] "Finally, I would recommend running a new 10-12 guage
power line from the power side of the fuse block (power at ignition only)
and fuse the unit separately, perhaps in the glove box or other
accessible location."

Sounds good to me, except you don't need this 10-12 guage wire.  A radio
will only pull maybe 3 amps max.  Just tap your cigarette lighter or
other hot wire.

RICH's $0.02>  Jay's right -- you don't need that big a wire for that
small a draw.  I use that guage becuase I tend to run more than one
accessory from it, and use it as a power distribution point (installing a
separate fuseblock at its terminus).  I still stand by my recommendation
that you run a new wire as recommended, merely because I am all too
familiar with the whims and vagarities of Lucas, Prince of Darkness....
You could switch down to a 14-16 guage wire if you're not going to run
any heavy draw on the wire (amps or other accessory), but I wouldn't go
any smaller.  The price difference is negligible, and while you can go
too small, you can never go too big (think of the size of that frame
you're using to take the accessory to earth).