Re: Transmission Leak

To: DANIEL RAY <danray@bluegrass.net>
Subject: Re: Transmission Leak
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 22:03:42 -0600
DANIEL RAY wrote:

> Listers,
> I said that I'd have numerous questions, and I just couldn't wait for this
>one!
>
> The car has one leak, and it is coming from a small hole at the rear of the
>bell housing on the transmission. I've looked everywhere for a diagram to tell
>me what this hole might be, but all of them are depicted at a side-angle.
> Here is the scary part, besides the oil dripping out (which is not really
>that scary on an LBC, is it?) --
> What appears to be the bent ends of a cotter pin are dangling from this hole!
> Does anyone know what this hole is?

Jurgen is right.

Either the rear main seal is leaking engine oil (likely) or the input shaft to
the tranny is leaking (unlikely). The good news is that it is usualy the rear
main seal and that is a common leak. Also, the oil dribbles down the front
of the flywheel and then into the flywheel cavity so it usually can't get to
the clutch (mounted on the back side of the flywheel). Thus, if you don't mind
your car spotting it's territory, it ain't a big deal if the leak ain't a
big deal.

As for the cotter pin, it's supposed to be there. You DO NOT want to plug that
hole as you don't need oil in the flywheel. The idea of the cotter pin is that
is will dangle and dance in the breeze and keep any gunk from clogging the
hole. The Japanese probably would use some sort of thermo-magnetic pump suction
device that is infrared activiated. The cotter pin works nicely.
--
Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6, '61Elva(?)
"The biggest thing that happened to the six-cylinder engine in 20 years was the