Re: Transmission Leak

To: danray@bluegrass.net
Subject: Re: Transmission Leak
From: Bob MGT <BobMGT@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 23:37:37 EST
In a message dated 1/15/98 2:59:22 AM !!!First Boot!!!, danray@bluegrass.net
writes:

> Listers,
>  I said that I'd have numerous questions, and I just couldn't wait for this
> one!
>
>  The car has one leak, and it is coming from a small hole at the rear of the
> bell housing on the transmission. I've looked everywhere for a diagram to
> tell me what this hole might be, but all of them are depicted at a side-
angle.

>  Here is the scary part, besides the oil dripping out (which is not really
> that scary on an LBC, is it?) --
>  What appears to be the bent ends of a cotter pin are dangling from this
hole!

>  Does anyone know what this hole is?
>  I have half a mind (which is a majority of my brain capacity) to take some
> chewing gum, plug the little hole, fill the thing with the proper oil and
> forget about it until the brakes, head and exhaust are fixed.
>  Any idea what this is? Any leads on a diagram that will show me what this
is?
>  I have the major catalogs and the Haynes manual and couldn't find anything.
>  BTW, the transmission works great, nice solid shifts, no grinds...."Like
> Butta"
>  Help!
>  TIA
>  Dan Ray
>  '73 MGB
>  Ft. Knox, KY

Ray:

Do not plug that hole! In fact the cotter pin is there to help keep the hole
from
plugging up. The hole is there to drain the oil that got past the rear seal of
the
engine. You don't want your bell housing to fill up with oil, the clutch would
not
like that at all. My TD (and all the T cars I know of) dump several
tablespoons
of oil out of this hole every time the engine is turned off. While the engine
is
running, the oil thrower keeps the oil in it's place. B's have better rear
seals
than the old T's. I don't know if the B has an oil thrower or not. If it does,
your car may not be leaking at all when the engine is running. I'm no mechanic
so somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
EMAIL - BOBMGT@AOL.COM
52 MGTD - under DIY restoration NEMGTR #11470
71 MGB   - AMGBA #96-12029, NAMGBR #7-3336