Re: Battery Drain???

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Battery Drain???
From: Christopher Palmer <ctp@gbn.org>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 08:56:07 -0800
>1.  What is the easiest way to track down a battery drain?
>
>2.  Can I measure the current across the fuses with my Multi Meter, and
>find the guilty circuit?

I have the same problem...here's my 2=A2 solution:

=46irst, to read amps (what you need to do to look for a current drain) your
multimeter must be in the circuit, not accross it ---i.e.---> The ammeter
completes the circuit.

Don't switch anything on, we're looking for leaks here, not normal flow.

Go to your fuse box.  Some of the wires are fed all the time, some only
when the key is on (supposedly).  One at a time, pull off a fed wire (as
opposed to a feeder) and put the meter in the circuit.  Does it read any
amps?  If yes, this is a potential leak (drain, short, whatever you want to
call it) If no, this circuit is ok, put the wire back in place.

Once you've isolated the offending circuit, trace it along until you find
the short.

CTP