Re: Battery Drain???

To: Mike Lishego <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Subject: Re: Battery Drain???
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 19:24:12 +0000
Mike Lishego wrote:

> Dumb question from the unenlightened, electrically:
>         Does a standard multimeter have a setting for 'ammeter' on it, or is
>this a
> separate entity?  Thanks...

'Multimeter' usually refers to a multi-function or 'multi-range' meter i.e. one
that
includes Amps Volts and Ohms (Hence 'AVO', BTW).

A simple check for current flow where you don't have to worry about
damaging your meter is to use a low-wattage 12v bulb connected in series
with the circuit.  Anything more than a few milli-amps will cause the
bulb to glow.  I've tracked down current leakage more than once in this
way.

PaulH.