Re: Battery Drain???

To: Christopher Palmer <ctp@gbn.org>
Subject: Re: Battery Drain???
From: Jason <jason.sawyer@ibm.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 20:49:05 -0800

Christopher Palmer wrote:

> >1.  What is the easiest way to track down a battery drain?
> >
> >2.  Can I measure the current across the fuses with my Multi Meter, and
> >find the guilty circuit?
>
> I have the same problem...here's my 2¢ solution:
> Go to your fuse box.  Some of the wires are fed all the time, some only
> when the key is on (supposedly).  One at a time, pull off a fed wire (as
> opposed to a feeder) and put the meter in the circuit.  Does it read any
> amps?  If yes, this is a potential leak (drain, short, whatever you want to
> call it) If no, this circuit is ok, put the wire back in place.
>
> Once you've isolated the offending circuit, trace it along until you find
> the short.
>
> CTP

  Another way:
    First disconnect anything that you know is a constant drain (clock, radio,
alarm, etc.)
    Put the meter in series with the battery and pull one fuse at a time, then
read the meter and replace the fuse. When the meter reads "0 amps", you've
found the offending circuit. Figure out what is run off the circuit, and
eliminate things one by one.
    Just be sure to be organized when troubleshooting.

Jason
79 MGB
72 Volkswagen Super Beetle