Re: Touch-Up Paint

To: danray@bluegrass.net
Subject: Re: Touch-Up Paint
From: miker15@juno.com (michael j robson)
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 22:43:00 EST
On Tue, 20 Jan 1998 19:28:14 -0600 DANIEL RAY <danray@bluegrass.net>
writes:
>I've seen lots of discussion on paints and primers and prep, but
>haven't =
>noticed anything on the simple touch-up. Well, I need some touch-up =
>paint, since a full job will be down the road and it doesn't look bad
>=
>from 10 feet away -- gotta get the car runnin' and funnin' before I =
>worry about that! There are lots of little nicks and chips, though.
>Any experience with the Moss touch ups? As my questions of a few weeks
>=
>ago have been answered, I'm sure my B is Blaze, but not so comfortable
>=
>that the Moss paint will match. I'm thinking about getting some mixed
>at =
>the local Auto paint shop using the paint codes by Moss. Any =
>suggestions?
>TIA
>Dan
>'73 Blaze B=20

Dan,
Blaze, like all red based colours is simply horrible to match properly
due to their propensity to oxidize and fade - especially since the paint
technology 30 years ago was nowhere near what it is today (God - back
then a red car would "bloom" on less than 12 months!)
I have a Flame Red GT (which is pretty much the same as blaze) - when i
needed some paint last year after a few repairs i didnt want to have the
whole car shot but i was worried about match
the guy who did it took a sample and had it analyzed on a spectra -
something
then ordered it from his supplier - the match is close to perfect, he did
shoor the whole top of the car and one rear wing but the entire lower
panels are original paint which i cut with 3M medium - i swear you cant
tell the difference!
My Moss touch up bottle however looks like red nail polish by comparison
and isnt even close!
Upshot - go to a state of the art paint shop!!!

mike robson
69 roadster
70 BGT
72 roadster