Aftermarket parts

To: MGS@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Aftermarket parts
From: Donald Scott <scottdon@napanet.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 20:00:24 -0800
To other MG folks:

I have had MG's for a long, long time.  However, as I get older, I find that
my interests are gravitating towards Japanese cars- I drive a Miata every
day to work and it's soooo much nicer that my old MG.

What has made me give up on MG's (except for the one GT I have) is partially
because of the poor quality replacement parts.  Even the chrome trim I got
for my GT was lousy, so I had to buy a second set.  The rear interior side
panels I bought don't have the small amount of padding like the original.
The rack and pinion boots I put on the car leaked six months later.
Fasteners don't fit.  A new grille doesn't fit.  The new leaf springs made
my car sag about 3 inches on one side.  A brand new head was cast
incorrectly- after installation, coolant ran out of my exhaust pipe.  And on
and on and on.  When I go to the big British car show in Palo Alto, I've
noticed that the interiors of the MG's look like cheap imitations of the
original- maybe the people that are new to the cars don't know the
difference.  The Moss parts are crude copies to say the least.

I guess I'm a bit of a purist; I like to get parts that are like the
original components, especially when the parts cost what they do.