Re: MGF impressions/What is a sports car (Another long Post)

To: "John McEwen" <mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca>
Subject: Re: MGF impressions/What is a sports car (Another long Post)
From: Phil Raby <mgworld@chp.ltd.uk>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 98 08:44:27 -0000
On 4/2/98 7:00 pm John McEwen said

>I think you can perceive our conundrum.  A new MG would have to sell for
>$35,500 or $41,000 depending on the model.  This doesn't include duty and
>taxes.  You would be amazed what you could buy here for that kind of money.
>That's getting close to the price of a Z3 or a 280SLK.  It would certainly
>buy a new Camaro or Firebird and any quality new sport sedan on the market.
>I can see that the F would be a very hard sell in Canada as a Miata goes
>for 2/3 of that.

I'm not an economist, so I don't understand the ins and outs of pricing,
but the MGF is competitive in Europe, Australia, Japan etc, so I wonder
why it can't be in the US. Any suggestions?

And let's face it, who'd be seen dead in a Miata, apart from hairdressers
- oh dear, now I've done it ;-)

Philip Raby
Editor, MG World
PO Box 163, Bicester OX6 3YS, UK
Tel: 01869 340061 Fax: 01869 340063 Mobile 0467 767361
www.chp.ltd.uk