Re: MGF impressions/What is a sports car (Another long Post)

To: "MG digest submit" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: MGF impressions/What is a sports car (Another long Post)
From: Phil Raby <mgworld@chp.ltd.uk>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 98 09:30:01 -0000
On 3/2/98 10:52 pm eldman, Jack (Jack) said

>       I examined it thoroughly. It is considered mid engined, but that is
>barely true. The engine is just forward of the rear wheels. I wonder
>what that does to the handling.

Have you ever seen a midengined car where the engine is literally in the
middle? The term refers to a layout with the engine in front of the rear
wheels, as opposed to rearengined, where the eingine is behind the
wheels, such as a 911 or Beetle. The handling of the MGF is faultless.

>       Here's where the flames come in. I wasn't impressed at all. In my book
>it might just as well been a Miata. Too civilized for my taste. Too many
>nice accessories. This leads to the second issue. What is a sports car?

The F is totally different to a Miata. Yes, the MGF is civilised, not
many people want to rough it these days. However,it drives like a true
sports car. Dare I say that performance and handling wise the F is far
more of a sports car than an MGB? Flame on!

Having said this, I believe there is room for a new Midget - a basic MG
along the lines of the Lotus Elise, which is a lot of fun.

I've said it before - drive an F before you judge it. You'll be impressed!

Cheers,

Philip Raby
Editor, MG World
PO Box 163, Bicester OX6 3YS, UK
Tel: 01869 340061 Fax: 01869 340063 Mobile 0467 767361
www.chp.ltd.uk