Re: Engine and Trans For sale, Also engine Swap

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Engine and Trans For sale, Also engine Swap
From: Keith Wheeler <keithw@sand.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 98 18:48:56 PST
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 1998 18:07:51 EST

Ron Powell wrote:

>I am planning on doing a very complex engine swap. I am studying installing a
>300ZX turbo engine and trans. I have a few connections on getting the parts I

Why?  Too heavy.  Too much turbo lag.  Too many mods to fit the thing.
If you *really* want a go fast MGB, seriously, look into a Rover V-8.
On your rubber bumper 'B the mods necessary are trivial.  Lots of
torque, no turbo-lag, and if you really-really wanna go faster, take
it out to 5.0 litres.

>need so this will not be as expensive as it sounds. I will probably limit hp
>to 250, I can push the engine to 350hp with a few adjustments, atleast
until I

Is that horsepower at the flywheel or the brochure?

>can make the frame of the MG a bit stronger. *Is there any info out there
>about the correct places to improve the frame so that it will not twist like
>crazy do to the hp.

The 'B is a solid old monocoque.  The only problem that powerplant
would impose would be weight.  The only thing Rover did to the 'B
chassis to strengthen it for the RV8 was a couple of extra rails
where the front of the rear spring attaches near the sill structure.
I've seen plenty of 'B V8s, full race prepped 'Bs, and 'Bs shunted
to the point of no survivors, but the only thing I've ever seen
twist a 'B "frame" is rust.

-Keith Wheeler
Team Sanctuary                  http://www.teamsanctuary.com/