Re: Silicone

To: WSpohn4@aol.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Silicone
From: Skip Kelsey <kelsey@value.net>
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 1998 09:44:17 -0800
Bill:

Down here, NO ONE, uses silicon fluid for racing, to my knowledge. Butch
tried it once and lost his brakes. From what I have discovered, it works
well in even hot street driven cars, but not in race cars. As it heats up
fjor some reason the M/C needs a longer stroke to operate correctly, or
something like that. On MG T and A cars, we take out the piston in the M/C
and cut .050 off of the back side. This allows the piston to retract
farther, and prevents wheel lockup. This works quite well. I got the tip
some years ago from Jonathon Twist.
The biggest problem is not lockup, when the rubber swells, it leaves a
small amount of pressure on the system and the brake lites stick on .
Eventually the bulbs and or the switch burns out. I have also noticed that
you will sosmetimes go thru switches more often. The silicon seems to cause
the switch to quit working. But all in all I still like the positive
aspects to using silicon in street driven cars. I still dont put it in
unless I put all new components in the system.

Cheers: