Re: Silicone

To: kelsey@value.net, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Silicone
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 1998 18:24:00 EST
In a message dated 2/07/98 9:50:40 AM PST,  kelsey@value.net writes:

<< On MG T and A cars, we take out the piston in the M/C
 and cut .050 off of the back side. This allows the piston to retract
 farther, and prevents wheel lockup. This works quite well. I got the tip
 some years ago from Jonathon Twist. >>

The back side being the one away from the cylinder opening?
It also works if you take it off the front side (the dished end of the
piston), so the piston can travel forward a little further to expose the hole
and allow recuperation of the fluid.
Either way, It's something I prefer not to put up with.
On the Twincam I have had the Dunlop caliper halves ground out and hard
chromed and then ground back to size. Expensive, but you never have to worry
about corrosion, even if you forget to change the fluid. I never forget on the
race car, of course, but the same Dunlop system on my street coupe, and on my
old Jensen sometimes goes a while between changes, I must admit.

Bill