Re: TC Adventures

To: John Swanland <swanland@cato.wesley.vic.edu.au>
Subject: Re: TC Adventures
From: Bud Krueger <bkrueger@ici.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 19:04:31 -0500
rd,
    There are a few important items that John inadvertently omitted. First and
foremost. DO NOT PUT THE WEB OF YOUR HAND OVER THE CRANK! You thumb should
(must) be on the same side of the handle as your fingers. This is to avoid the
possibility of the crank breaking your hand. Remember that the TD does not have
a slow-running control. Pulling the choke out accomplishes this. Insert the
crank into the nut on the end of the crank and slowly rotate the crank
(clockwise) until the engine is just about to begin a compression stroke as you
about to pull the crank upward from its lowest position. Remember that you can
rotate the crank backwards in the dog (nut) to change the location by half a
turn. The ONLY fast action that you make with the crank is to pull it up from
the six o'clock position toward 12 o'clock. Do not attempt to go beyond the 12
o'clock position. Never push down on the crank. The dog on the nut is designed
to push the crank pin out of the nut once the engine starts. Make certain that
your crank is an easy fit into the dog with no excessive drag from the bumper,
bar, shell or radiator support.
     Forty years ago I went for a month with the choice of groceries or a new
battery. Learned a lot about cranking. Fortunately I was in San Diego at the
time.

Bud Krueger
52TD
p.s. As John said -- remember to turn the key on.