Re: Easy Questions

To: "John J. Peloquin" <peloquin@mamba.bio.uci.edu>
Subject: Re: Easy Questions
From: Mike Lishego <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 12:12:41 -0800
John J. Peloquin wrote:

> Dear Mike,
>
> What is a simple lineman's splice?

Well, a lineman's splice is a connection between two wires that involves each
section
of stripped wire wrapping around one another.  This forms a continuous,
straight line
with the two joined wires.  This is different from a pigtail in that the
pigtail is
simply two sections of stripped wire twisted together.  The end result is a
splice
with a 'tail' of wire protruding at a right angle from the splice.  Somebody
else may
be able to explain this better, as I'm no electrician, I just play one on TV.

To answer your original question, I don't know any simple linemen, but when I
meet one
I'll be sure to pick his brains on his splicing techniques.

--
Michael S. Lishego
St. Andrews Presbyterian College