electronic ignition

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: electronic ignition
From: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 00:12:41 -0500
It's time to tune the Sprite. Being very lazy (the real reason I never
bother to put the top up), I am thinking about replacing the points with an
electronic ignition. I know that there are several types and there is a
nice treatise on this point at : http://www.prostar.com/web/rsinc/ign.htm

>From that page, a quick rundown of the options: 'Some retain the original
mechanical points whereas others replace the points with a magnetic
"reluctor", a "hall effect" device or an optical system. These types of
distributor driven triggers can be an input to a "TAI", a "CDI" or "MSD".
These acronyms respectively stand for "Transistor Assisted
Ignition","Capacitive Discharge Ignition" and "Multiple Spark Discharge"'

My questions are:

1. Which products commonly available to the lbc crowd are what systems.
I.e., what exactly is a Pertronix Ignitor or what is a Crane XR-700?

2. What are the experiences/opinions of the list with the various systems?

3. Where can one get the best deal on these systems?

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff Boatright    __o_\__           '65 Austin-Healey Sprite
http://userwww.service.emory.edu/~jboatri/sprite/sprite.html