Re: electronic ignition

To: Peter Schauss x 2014 <ps4330@okc01.jccbi.gov>
Subject: Re: electronic ignition
From: Mike Lishego <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 12:03:17 -0800
Peter Schauss x 2014 wrote:

> I ordered the Crane-Allison system from Moss, but the first one was DOA.
> They sent me a replacement, but I found that the "one size (more or less)
> fits all" mounting braket setup was just too flakey.

        I feel compelled to stick up for the Crane unit, since mine solved a
gamut of
problems my 'B was having when I first got it.  The distributor was worn out,
the
points changed their gap just for fun, and the car started only when it was so
compelled.  To fix this, I got a distributar/Crane combo from a buddies wrecked
racer.
 He fitted the Crane hookup rather well and rather permanent.  My only
complaint was
his removal of the vacuum advance, something I intend to replace this
spring...Anyway,
when the starter relay isn't acting up, the car starts every time and runs
well.  OK,
it might not run well, but I know the problem isn't ignition related!
        After hearing all of this points-type happyspeak, I've decided to
refurbish my
old distributor and keep it in the boot 'just in case.'  Of course, when the
amplifier
goes, I'll probably misdiagnose it, but...

--
Michael S. Lishego
St. Andrews Presbyterian College