RE: Advice for newcomer to the MGB?!

Subject: RE: Advice for newcomer to the MGB?!
From: Joseph Cianciotti <jmc987@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 98 13:09:21 -0700

Larry Hoy writes:

>Good advise, may I add: Don't be fooled by a car that *appears* to have no
>rust.  Many people have purchased (and paid a premium for) a car that
>appears to have no rust.  Bondo is an amazing thing!
>
>Larry Hoy

My advice:

Don't rush.  Take your time and see as many cars as possible and learn as
much as possible.  Get yourself a magnet to check for bondo. Knock on a
few good sills so you'll learn what solid ones sound like.  Check the
floors. Since B's leak, there will probably be rust.  Judge the severity
of it.  Surface rust can be treated, holes require welding.  Also check
the front and rear ends. (Early B's tend to get squashed by other drivers
who park by ear.) The front valance where the oil cooler sits should be
flat and the corners clean and square.  Any waviness or sloppy welds
indicates front end damage. And last, but not least, find a mechanic in
your area who knows B's. He'll be able to judge the mechanical condition
of your B and give you a good idea of how much it will cost to sort out.

Rubber or chrome? I drive a chrome bumper car. It's just my preference.
But I've heard that the rubber bumper cars with their higher ride height
and bigger bumpers do better in the parking lots.  If I was driving one,
I'd probably be less concerned about where I park.  Either way, both are
great cars and a blast to drive.  Have fun.

Joseph
67 'B Roadster