Re: Alternator and Airpump follies

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Alternator and Airpump follies
From: richard.arnold@juno.com (Richard D. Arnold)
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 22:07:51 EDT
On Tuesday, 21 April 1998 at 8:11, John Peloquin wrote:

>I'm not a lawyer, but my understanding is that the vehicles are
>completely exempt from smog regulations.

I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, but it seems to me that this
is a question of concurrent jurisdictions -- the state has exempted the
vehicle from smog testing (not the same as smog regulations or equipment
requirements, which may still be in place, only not enforced), while the
federal government still retains its authority over the smog equipment
that is on the vehicle (or is supposed to be on the vehicle).

In other words, even if the state doesn't care what is on the vehicle,
Uncle Sam might....

>However, if someone is certain on the issue
>I would certainly like to hear what the straight skinny is.

And since I am not certain what the actual legal effect is, no one should
take my word as being authoritatiove, and I strongly encourage encourage
anyone affected by the changes to seek the advice of an attorney of their
choosing.

'Course, y'all could just move to a state that doesn't require such
nonsense.

Rich (happy in smog-test free Iowa)