Re: Alternator and Airpump follies

To: "Richard D. Arnold" <richard.arnold@juno.com>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Alternator and Airpump follies
From: Jim Carlile <j_carlile@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 17:04:30 -0700 (PDT)

---"Richard D. Arnold" <richard.arnold@juno.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday, 21 April 1998 at 8:11, John Peloquin wrote:
>
> >I'm not a lawyer, but my understanding is that the vehicles are
> >completely exempt from smog regulations.
>
> I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, but it seems to me that
this
> is a question of concurrent jurisdictions -- the state has exempted
the
> vehicle from smog testing ... while the
> federal government still retains its authority over the smog equipment
> that is on the vehicle ... In other words, even if the state doesn't
care what is on the vehicle,
> Uncle Sam might....
------------------------------------

The feds are certainly behind the new California legislation-- in fact
they have insisted upon it-- but my understanding is that the Cal
Legislature enshrined the retention of smog equipment into specific
statute. I'll try to look it up-- I just saw the four or five relevant
statutes last week on the DMV Homepage, which I believe is linked from
the homepage of the Sacramento Valley MG Club. The DMV has done a
pretty good job of getting all the info. out there for us, even if
some of it is bad news.

Because most of the 'B' pre-74 1/2 equipment is so minor, I'd leave it
on. I think you could have problems, too, if you didn't take the
precaution of blanking off the valve cover air manifold after removing
everything else. All in all it isn't worth it, I think, though cutting
the smog pump belt might improve some things.

Good news, though-- pending legislation in Sacramento will try to
remove the visual inspection requirement for Smog Check II, meaning
that if your car passes the emissions tests, it doesn't matter how you
did it, i.e., Weber or S.U. Let's hope this doesn't die in committee.

Jim
'74 B