ALternator and Airpump follies

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: ALternator and Airpump follies
From: john peloquin <peloquin@galaxy.ucr.edu>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 13:32:01 -0700 (PDT)
Netters,

This weekend I finally decided to check out why my battery in my '70
BGT wasn't charging. After removing the air pump and the old alternator I
had the old Lucas checked. Of course it was putting out zilch. A new
rebuilt later and I'm on the road. BTW, I didn't put the air pump back on
since I'd only have to remove it to fiddle with the alternator
(new/rebuilt) should it prove not worthy of the task. I capped off the old
pump stuff and drove the car around for a while in a shake down
cruis. Mirable dictu, but the car does not backfire anymore when I shift.
Could those of you out there that know more about this backfiring problem
inform me as to what has changed so that I now no longer backfire every
time I let off the accelerator (as when shifting).

Thanks much

"Never Ascribe to Malice that which can be explained by Ignorance."
John J. Peloquin
Entomology, University of California, Riverside, CA 92521