Re:5 speed vs. OD conversion

To: mgs <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re:5 speed vs. OD conversion
From: Douglas McKinnie <mup1dm@surrey.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 5 May 98 09:50:03 +0100
Ben Ruset wrote:
>I don't want to keep my standard 4 speed. The thought of pushing my B to
>the high rev mark and leaving it there frankly scares me.

If I remember the comments from the John Twist tech pages
correctly, the overdrive is a placebo on the MGB. It does
no harm to run the engine that fast, and there are no gains
in either economy or performance. I can imagine that the
loss of noise might be a large contributing factor in the
decision to get a high gear, however.

My 72 MGB-GT without overdrive did not complain at all on
its Ohio to Massachussetts trip last summer, nor on the
Massachussetts to Ohio trip that followed. These were basic
'put it on I-90 and go' trips, I only stopped to rest my
ears and to feed the car and myself.

Sorry that this does not answer your question re: choice
between OD & 5. I'll be asking the same if my 4-speed
starts giving me any grief, but in the meantime I worry
less about continuous high revs than I would about an OD
of unknown pedigree.

Douglas McKinnie