Re: Nostalgic Design

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net (IPM Return Requested)
Subject: Re: Nostalgic Design
From: William Elliott <William.Elliott@mail.mei.com>
Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 8:52:01 -0500
Jim writes:
<<Do listers actually like how the Miata handles? It reminds me of an
X1/9 (like a go-cart), it has terrifically awful sightlines (about a
third of your drivers seat view is car body), and it feels incredibly
lightweight underfoot--because it is!>>

Many people (myself included) would see your comparison
to the handling of an X1/9 as very positive! I think the
Miata handles wonderfully... very connected to the
road.  I think the total driving experience is superior
to just about any modern car.

<<After driving a friends Miata to Santa Barbara County and back in '92
I was never so happy to get in my B-- a real car! Clean sightlines,
solid handling, and the proper center-of-gravity for a small car. Any
comments here? After all the hype, I couldn't believe how AWFUL the
Miata felt. There's no comparison to a British roadster-- none!>>

You're right here: there's no comparison to a British
roadster.  I would never consider the Miata a replacement
for an LBC, but maybe a decent replacement for a modern
commuter car, say a Civic.

Most Miata owners (except true enthusiasts using them
as an alternative to a generic commuter car) would not
consider owning an LBC. And vice versa.

Bill Elliott
Lake Mills, WI
TR6, Corvairs, Audi, SAAB, no Miata (and none planned)