RE: Nostalgic Design

To: "Jim Carlile" <j_carlile@yahoo.com>,
Subject: RE: Nostalgic Design
From: "John Steczkowski" <stecz@pswtech.com>
Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 15:20:37 -0500

I probably shouldn't get suckered into this conversation....

Let me say this with the caveat that I love my MGB, I just understand it's
limitations...(I've also never owned a Miata)

Let's start with real world stuff.....
(this is based on the cartest app, with data for a '96 miata and a '67 MGB
GT)

Miata quarter mile = 16.3 @ 84mph
MGB quarter mile   = 19.3 @ 73mph
Miata 0-60/0-100 =     8.5/23.7
Miata 0-60/0-100 =     13.4/49.1
1 lap of watkins glen   Miata = 2:56.9       MGB=3:36.2    (39.3 second
difference)

The Miata also passes 1990s crash tests, emmissions tests, gets better gas
mileage (at least better than my MGB), the hood takes 5 seconds to erect
instead of 5 minutes, has integrated A/C, less marginal electrical system,
Let's see... what else....   My point is, "it's so apparently inferior"...
give me a break. Take a look at the latest Solo II times at the National
Tour Solo II event in College Station Texas (http://www.scca.com). On the
wide open courses they use out there, the Miata's were only fractions of a
second behind the fastest Corvette (fastest stock autocrossers are either C4
'vettes or RX-7 twin turbos) and the fastest Miata would have been second in
SS (fastest stock class).