Re: Clutch replacement

To: John Fredrikson <jtfred@on134th.com>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Clutch replacement
From: Jim Carlile <j_carlile@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 16:26:25 -0700 (PDT)

---John Fredrikson <jtfred@on134th.com> wrote:

> Can anyone give me any insight in replacing a clutch on a '72 MGB?
What all is
> involved? What else should be replaced when the motor is pulled?
What are some
> things to watch out for while doing the job?

Not a bad job, if you get help, but $650 is a normal price. While the
engine is out it's a good idea to replace the rear bearing and seal,
maybe the timing chain if old, and pan gasket.

When pros do it-- well -- by necessity they set everything up right--
including checking motor mounts and a good carb tune. It might be
worth it. Alot of PM stuff is satisfied during a clutch job. Good pro
mechanics look at and tweak everything as required.

Jim
74B