Re: Leakin bat'try

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Leakin bat'try
From: johnhunt@ece.ogi.edu (John Hunt)
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 13:20:15 -0700
Don:

I had a similar problem with my '68B about 10 years ago, though
the current drain was more like 1 amp rather than milliamps
that you are observing.

In my case, the drain was bad enough that you could see a minor
spark when the battery lead was pulled off the post.  The problem
was a diode failure in the alternator.

You might unplug your alternator/generator and see if that solves
the problem.  At least in the case of an alternator, the "output"
lead is always connected directly to the battery.  Normally the
diodes in the alternator only allow the alternator to supply
current (as the Lucas designers planned).  However, if a diode
fails, the battery can easily drain back through the alternator.