Re: Leakin bat'try

To: bmahoney@home.com
Subject: Re: Leakin bat'try
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 09:39:27 EDT
Hi Becky,
  At the theoretical level, the PO may be right.
  At the practical level, the reason that we use a single battery now is
because batteries are so much better than they were then that the
capacity of a single battery is more than sufficient to meet the needs of
the car.  MG thought so; they dropped the double battery in favor of a
single.
  My 75 had a single. Although the car had some 80,000 original miles on
it and lived outside, it was my daily driver in Maine and it always
started.  My '72 GT had two batteries. I have a single in it now, and
it's just fine.
  Unless invisible authenticity is a goal, I'd say to take advantage of
modern technology and use a single.  Save the weight and the money.
Bob