Re: Radical Change, but Wrong Car

To: bruset@home.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Radical Change, but Wrong Car
From: WSpohn4 <WSpohn4@aol.com>
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 14:07:03 EDT
In a message dated 5/18/98 9:35:54 AM PST,  bruset@home.com writes:

<< >After the A, the B was a fairly derivative model, and didn't represent any
 >stunning change to the accepted paradigm.
  With the exception of:
  A locking boot
 Locking doors
 Locking glovebox
 Wind up windows
 Heat
 Unibody construction
  The B was scoffed at as being too "soft" and not a "real sports car."
  The B was a wild departure from the A.
  BEN RUSET - ICQ # 10364973
 The MGB Haven & MG Cars Webring >>

Well, Ben maybe we mean two different things when we use the word "wild".

All but the locking glove box were already in use in the MGA coupe (remember
it?), and the unibody construction had been pioneered in the MG by the
Magnette, which although the body style first came out as the Wolseley 4/44
with the old tech XPAG engine, quickly transformed into the first MG with the
new BMC based engine.

The B had exactly the same driveline as the MGA, with only detail changes to
the displacement (to combat the necessarily heavier result of using unibody
construction), and all of the suspension was essentially unchanged as well.
The body style was the same closed type (as opposed to the old upright school
of the T series), although it did continue development of the construction
technique pioneered by the Magnette.

I guess I need more than that to make me characterize the changes as "wild" or
as the same sort of paradigm shift that the A represented, compared to it's
essentially pre-war predecessors but to each his own.

Bill S.