Re: Radical Change, but Wrong Car

To: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Subject: Re: Radical Change, but Wrong Car
From: Ben Ruset <bruset@home.com>
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 15:32:23 -0400
>  *NOW* you are asking for it, Ben. ;>

Heh! Somehow I knew I'd offend you Trevor! =)

>  It was indeed a sports saloon. I have an original brochure here
>and the front page reads:

<snip>
>  ...whether or not it meets today's standards of a sporting
>anything, that's what it was marketed to be at the time. Think
>of what most BMW sedans are today, designed to have sporty
>performance and stylish looks but still be functional.

Yes, but there is a difference between "sporting saloon,"  "sporty," "sport
sedan," and "sports car."

The Magnette was never designed to appeal to the element of people who desire
an all-out sports car, much like the BMW 5 series isn't targeted at the people
who would own a C5 Corvette. The fact that the Magnette is sporty and
pretty (I
at least like it) doesn't enter into the equation.

The comparison was between the A and the B - the Magnette is what people pack
their families up in and go on holiday with! =)

Asbestos suit donned! Flame on! =)

BEN RUSET - ICQ # 10364973
The MGB Haven & MG Cars Webring

http://members.home.com/mgbhaven