Re: Radical Change, but Wrong Car

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Radical Change, but Wrong Car
From: Bob MGT <BobMGT@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 21:27:16 EDT

> >  It was indeed a sports saloon. I have an original brochure here
>  >and the front page reads:
>
>  <snip>
>  >  ...whether or not it meets today's standards of a sporting
>  >anything, that's what it was marketed to be at the time. Think
>  >of what most BMW sedans are today, designed to have sporty
>  >performance and stylish looks but still be functional.
>
>  Yes, but there is a difference between "sporting saloon,"  "sporty," "sport
>  sedan," and "sports car."

I have an on going argument with the guys at work. I insist that the Camaro,
Firebird and Mustang are properly called sporty cars or sport sedans. A sedan
can not be a sports car, no matter how fast it is. Alas, even General Motors
has been guilty of calling the Camaro a sports car. Any car that can haul the
family to the supermarket and bring back the groceries, is not a sports car.
(I'm probably preaching to the choir here, right?)

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
EMAIL - BOBMGT@AOL.COM
52 MGTD - under DIY restoration NEMGTR #11470
71 MGB   - AMGBA #96-12029, NAMGBR #7-3336