Re: Special License Plates

To: "Dan Ray" <danray@bluegrass.net>
Subject: Re: Special License Plates
From: baldycotton@pop.mindspring.com
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 1998 20:45:29 -0400
At 08:30 PM 6/9/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Most states have "historic vehicle" plates available.
>Here in KY, and I'm sure other states, there is a stipulation that you can
>only drive the car to "events", or some such stupid rule...
>Has anyone EVER gotten a ticket for driving to work or the store with
>historic plates???

Here in New Jersey, the law is about the same, but the meaning of the law
is that the car is NOT supposed to be used for normal usage, such as going
out shopping and driving to work, taking the kids to soccer practice, etc.
If you want to do that stuff, you're suppposed to get a regular plate.
Just like having collectors insurance. You're limited to 2,500 miles per
year, and the other rules apply, (and a few more.)
The benfit here, however, is great.  With Historic plates, I only have to
register the car every three years, and I DON'T have to get your car
inspected.  That's wonderful, 'cause many old cars would fail if given the
same scrutiny as new cars, even though smog controls didn't exist in '62
and my car would be grandfathered".  Another nice thing is that you don't
have to clutter up your nice windshield with stickers.  Shoot, in my part
of the area, I'd prolly overheat having to wait in the three hour line at
the inspection station.
Those inspection station folks have NO brains at all, from my experiences
with them, and I'm glad to be able to avoid them.
Dave
'62 MGA 1600 MkII