RE: Special License Plates

To: "Miller, John" <John_Miller@jdedwards.com>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Special License Plates
From: Larry Hoy <larryhoy@mcione.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 07:14:05 -0600
In Colorado any car 25 years old can have collector plates.  A few
years ago the legislature decided in order to minimize the "junk" cars
being registered with collector plates they would require collector
plates to be paid for 5 years in advance and there is no reduction in
the annual rate when compared to the "regular" plate.  When the five
years in advance provision was implemented it had a significant impact
on the number of "junk" cars using collector plates, it seems that the
people with "junk" cars aren't as willing to pay five years in advance
for their plates.  The advantage of collector plates is a car with
these plates only needs one smog test per owner, and the test does not
include a visual inspection of the smog equipment.  The next time the
car is sold another test is required.

The collector plate is not supposed to be used for a daily driver car.
I have never heard of this being enforced, I suspect it is to
difficult to prove.

Larry Hoy; Denver, CO. USA
1969 MGB Roadster
1987 Jaguar XJ6 VDP
"It's not how fast you go, it's how fast you go fast"