RE: Is a "B" really worth it!??

To: <TXBobcat30@aol.com>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Is a "B" really worth it!??
From: "Chris Delling" <saschris@flash.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 1998 08:37:02 -0700
Jarrod-

This list is not without a certain bias, so I suspect you will get many
enthusiastic answers.

To be honest, the MGB can be a very reliable method of transportation.
Further, a 66 may be easier to use as a daily driver, as it is a very simple
car, with little to go wrong - no emmissions controls to speak of, etc.  It
will also be very friendly to work on for the same reason.

But, you must really consider your own personality, and finances.  If you
like to work on cars, and have some aptitude, or help from people who know
how to work on cars, your ahead in the game.  While the B can be very
reliable, it will take more maintanence than you average econo-car.  You
will either learn to do it yourself, or pay someone else to do it.  Unless
you have a fat wallet, you will want to learn to do it yourself.  If you
don't do it, you won't have a reliable car.

MGB's are not fragile, but they don't respond well to being beaten into the
ground either.  If you are going to go out a drive like a lot of teenage
drivers do (like I used to), you may find the the MGB isn't for you.

The MGB is a great car.  It's not a dragster, your buddy with the GEO will
outrun it in stoplight drags.  But if you want a fun to drive car it's
definitely a good one.  The 66 model is pretty rare, and should be worth
more.  Do yourself a favor, and try to keep it stock, to preserve it's
value.  Good Luck, and if you decide to go for it, you will find a lot of
helpful folks right here on the list.

Chris Delling