Re: cast iron manifold paint

To: johnhaynes@som-uky.campus.mci.net (John Haynes),
Subject: Re: cast iron manifold paint
From: Mike Hartwig <mhartwig@cbu.edu>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 10:48:16 -0500
At 10:03 AM 6/17/98 -0400, John Haynes wrote:
>At 05:53 PM 6/16/98 -0500, Tyson Sherman wrote:
>>Is there any way to paint the cast iron manifolds?  Simply keeping it
>>from rusting would be nice.  Any ideas?  Thanks.

>snip

>>   Hello Tyson
>        I have used cold galvanizing by Permatex-Loctite on scores of
>restorations. It comes in a spay can, is a light gray color and holds up
>well. I sometimes top it off with a final coat of high heat aluminum paint
>for more shine. You must prepare the surface. Shot blasting is the best
method.

I think Sam is talking about zinc primer.  You must have the surface you
wish to paint very clean.  The zinc primer, or galvanizing spray relies on
the fact that the zinc will protect the steel from rusting, so if you leave
any rust on the steel before priming, then you will still have rust
problems in the future.

This stuff is sometimes hard to find.  I've found it in paint stores in
gallon cans, but I think the spray can is more handy for smaller jobs.

Tyson, if your manifolds are pitted from corrosion, then I would suggest
that you look into the prospects of ceramic coatings or sprayed on
commercial coatings designed specifically for manifolds.  Check Hemmings.
Otherwise, if the manifolds are relatively smooth, just sandblast them and
go with the zinc primer.

Jay