Re: BBS style wheels -Reply

To: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison), Matt.Kulka@hboc.com
Subject: Re: BBS style wheels -Reply
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 00:06:36
At 08:29 PM 6/18/98 EDT, Rick Morrison wrote:
> FWIW, RWD cars usually have massisve amounts of negative offset.

On the contrary, RWD cars usually have close to zero offset, and the MGs
are an exception to the rule.  FWD cars usually have a large negative
offset in the wheels to set the hubs pretty far out from the vehicle
centerline, to allow for the length of the half shafts.  MGs have negative
offset in the wheels because they are very small cars, and that wheel
design allows for a narrow wheel base to match the body width.  As a
result, you can find wheels from some FWD cars that will fit nicely on your
MGB.

> The Back-set on rostyle wheels is about  2 1/2". ....

I don't recall the width of a rostyle wheel, but if it's between 4" to 5",
that 2-1/2" backset would be an offset of between minus 1/2" and 0".  The
4" wide wheels on my MGA have on offset of minus 1-1/2", making a backset
of 3-1/2", so the mounting surface is just 1/2" fron the outside rim.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude