looking at an mgb... (cont.)

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: looking at an mgb... (cont.)
From: Sam Snow <snowsam@mail.auburn.edu>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 12:31:01 -0500 (CDT)
So, I'm trying to decide what else I should check on this car. I'm going
to look at prices in Hemmings and some of the "blue books" tonight to see
if it seems in line.
Specs:
'74.5 (rubber bumper, twin carb) White MGB, 69,000 miles
Interior: average to worn
Paint: Has been resprayed... few chips around and about.
New tires, alloy wheels,
New brake cyls, master cyl.
Pretty new top, with a 3-4 inch rip at the passenger side top of
windshield.

bad things I noticed:
Speedo jumps around a bunch, isn't reading anything useful.
A little surface rust under the floor mat on the driver's side. A little
moist there.
Needs a tune up (I think)
Exhaust leak close to engine end
Seats need rebuilding
passenger door rubbing at bottom rear slightly, needs paint touched up
there

Price $3,800 OBO

I was thinking a compression check would be a good thing... and might
give me a better idea of how the engine is doing. Otherwise, if the price
seems in line, I may buy myself a B. :)

thanks for opinions,

Sam Snow

-- http://www.auburn.edu/~snowsam