Re: looking at an mgb... (cont.)

To: snowsam@mail.auburn.edu
Subject: Re: looking at an mgb... (cont.)
From: miker15@juno.com
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 1998 18:41:58 EDT
On Thu, 2 Jul 1998 12:31:01 -0500 (CDT) Sam Snow
<snowsam@mail.auburn.edu> writes:
>So, I'm trying to decide what else I should check on this car. I'm
>going
>to look at prices in Hemmings and some of the "blue books" tonight to
>see
>if it seems in line.
>Specs:
>'74.5 (rubber bumper, twin carb) White MGB, 69,000 miles
>Interior: average to worn
>Paint: Has been resprayed... few chips around and about.
>New tires, alloy wheels,
>New brake cyls, master cyl.
>Pretty new top, with a 3-4 inch rip at the passenger side top of
>windshield.
>
>bad things I noticed:
>Speedo jumps around a bunch, isn't reading anything useful.
>A little surface rust under the floor mat on the driver's side. A
>little
>moist there.
>Needs a tune up (I think)
>Exhaust leak close to engine end
>Seats need rebuilding
>passenger door rubbing at bottom rear slightly, needs paint touched up
>there
>
>Price $3,800 OBO
>
>I was thinking a compression check would be a good thing... and might
>give me a better idea of how the engine is doing. Otherwise, if the
>price
>seems in line, I may buy myself a B. :)
>
>thanks for opinions,
>
>Sam Snow

Hi Sam
On the face of it it sounds like a beater and not really worth 3800 -
To comment on some of the points you raise -
Interior - if you can live with it fine, if not figure in the region of
USD8-900 worth of
replacement parts (panel kit/seat kit/foams/carpets)and a lot of labour -
fairly easy to do however and very rewarding
Paintwork - how bad is the respray??
"New Top" - if it has a 3-4" rip it will be hard to repair and it will
certainly leak
so it doesnt really matter how new it is
Speedo - could be a number of things but not a big problem
Floor rust - are you sure its a "little" rust? - if its damp then ill bet
you a pound to a pinch its worse than it looks - also check the usual
spots thoroughly, rockers, doglegs, tops and bottoms of the wings, engine
bay valance near the top of each wings, inner rockers in the foottwells
and the bottom edge of the transmission tunnel in the footwells - dont be
afraid to poke at it a bit, its the other reason God made screwdrivers!
Seats - see interior!
Door paint - it may be an alignment problem in which case the hinges need
adjusting but the bigger fear would be that the rockers are badly rusted
and the car is sagging -
from what you say this seems less likely but  bear it in mind

Here in the NE i would think it sounds like a $2500-2500 car depending on
a bit more info -

mike robson
69 roadster
70 BGT