Re: looking at an mgb... (cont.)

To: Sam Snow <snowsam@mail.auburn.edu>
Subject: Re: looking at an mgb... (cont.)
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 1998 13:42:38 -0400
Sam Snow wrote:
> Speedo jumps around a bunch, isn't reading anything useful.

  Nothing to worry about, really. All parts are easy to
replace if you really need a working speedo.

> A little surface rust under the floor mat on the driver's side. A little
> moist there.

  Define "little"? Rust is of course the #1 enemy, everything else
is easily fixed.

> Needs a tune up (I think)

  Most likely, yap. However, don't be quick to say "it runs
poorly so a tune up will make it fine". It may have other
problems.

> Exhaust leak close to engine

  No biggie as long as you can find it and it's "somewhere
in the pipes". All the exhaust is easily replaceable as long
as the leak isn't coming from a crack in the block or
the head something.

> Seats need rebuilding

  No sweat.

> passenger door rubbing at bottom rear slightly, needs paint touched up
> there

  That could be merely a misaligned door, or could be a much more
serious problem which is the car folding in half from rusting
sills. The sills provide most of the strength of the car, and they
can rust internally such that the strength is compromised, but still
not show much on the outside.

  The first signs of a folding car is the doors not fitting well.

  A few quick tests can help pinpoint the problem. Open the
door and standing outside, try to lift the door up and down. If
there is considerable motion, it might just be worn hinges
which are straightforward to change. However, in your
case it would be weird to have the passenger door hinges worn,
usually the driver's side wears out so we order them from the
other side of the pond where they have spares galore because
their passenger side hinges never wear. ;>

  Another test is to close the door, get a feel for the "rubbing",
then stand inside the car on the sill or as close as you can and
close the door again, and see if it changes. It shouldn't.

  As well, close the door, hold your finger over the door seam
near the top. (just above the door handle) and do deep-knee-bend
style weight on the floor. (like jumping slowly without
your feet leaving the ground). See if the door gap changes perceptibly
when you do this.

> I was thinking a compression check would be a good thing... and might
> give me a better idea of how the engine is doing.

  Yeppers!

  Good luck!

--
Trevor Boicey, Ottawa, Canada.