Re: Derogatory remarks - was Re: Swaps

To: MGBDude@aol.com
Subject: Re: Derogatory remarks - was Re: Swaps
From: Ben Ruset <bruset@home.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 1998 21:09:42 -0400
>In a message dated 98-07-06 16:55:01 EDT, bruset@home.com writes:
>
><< Note that I didn't even mention the South. >>
>I concluded that you meant the South from the Confederate Flag remark - Not
>too many Manhattanites fly them....

 In any generalization of a "hick", what region do they come from? The
South? I
didn't see the Bronx or Manhattan in Deliverance.

That's not to say that *I* think that people from the South are hicks - in
fact
most of my family is from the South.

Generalizations are oft associated with specific areas. If you take a
generalization of a yuppie, for example, they drive BMW's and hail from
Conneticut. If you're from Britain, the generalization of Americans is that we
are all loud and drive obnoxiously large cars. The generalization of New
Jerseyian (where I am from) women is that they all have big hair. Et cetera.

I'm not defending the truth of any generalization, I just don't want to be
crucified because someone is getting upset at the fact that the "hick"
generalization is associated with the South.

BEN RUSET
http://members.home.com/bruset
The MGB Haven & MG Cars Webring         http://members.home.com/mgbhaven