Disregard for Pollution Control Standards

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net (IPM Return Requested)
Subject: Disregard for Pollution Control Standards
From: William Elliott <William.Elliott@mail.mei.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 13:54:45 -0500
<< Fact is that most of what one reads on this list is a total disregard
for the importance of pollution control standards.  It's as though the
gov't was out to spoil our fun.  Some of us need to grow up.>>

I won't argue with the intent of your thought, but
let me offer an alternative view.

Auto pollution control standards have done a great
deal of good for our environment.  I won't go
into the argument that the same effect could have
been accomplished _without_ auto emission standards,
even though I firmly believe it to be true.

However, the methods of enforcement of these standards is ridiculous.

Every car I've restored easily met emissions standards
for the year of its production. (Thank goodness for
my Trabant's sake 1964 had no standards!)  However, most
of them were technically illegal.  In some cases, adding the
required equipment made them dirtier, not cleaner!

My suggestion for achieving the same goal without the pain:
Tell me I have to pass the standards for the year
the car was built.  Then test me however you want:
stationary or on a treadmill.  But don't tell me
I'm illegal due to equipment!

Just my $.02!

Bill Elliott