Re: Lucas sports coil

To: Jurgen Hartwig <gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu>
Subject: Re: Lucas sports coil
From: Bill Schooler <schooler@erols.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 17:15:26 -0400
Jurgen Hartwig wrote:

> At 10:03 AM 7/24/98 -0600, David Councill wrote:
> >What are the benefits of having a Lucas sports coil? I've thought
> about
> >putting one in my 71 BGT but is it worth it?
> >
> David, the hotter coil, at 40kV of output, permits you to open your
> spark plug gap up. The larger gap allows for a larger spark, and
> possibly a better combustion cycle. At the price of the coil, I
> couldn't see "why not?," but if your coil seems to be in good shape,
> then I would stick with it.

David, you're the chap in Montana, right?  IMHO, use of the sport coil
just might make starting a bit easier when the temp drops to -35 F.  (I
spent 3.5 years in Great Falls with a '69 B/GT and never had a problem
starting it - but it was always plugged in during the cold weather and I
used synthetic oil.)

> P.S. The other way to get higher voltage at the spark is to use a
> Mallory dual point dizzy. Two sets of points gives twice the voltage
> of a one points dizzy, but that's Mallory's claim.

I don't think so, Tim!  What they appear to claim is the ability to run
that distributor at 72 degrees of dwell, as opposed to the standard 60
degrees, thereby giving a boost to coil saturation - but not double the
voltage!  I read the explanation, re-read it, and still don't understand
what the hell they're talking about.  But that's the claim.  Check the
Moss web page tech hints section for this discussion.
(http://www.mossmotors.com/) If anyone can explain in a more
understandable fashion how this distributor works, I'd love to hear it.
By the way, I understand how a dual-point, dual-coil distributor works.
Ran one on a full-house '48 Mercury flat head V8 back in the 50s.  God -
that really dates me, doesn't it?

(snip)

--
*Bill Schooler      *Check the MGCC Wash DC Centre Web Page
*Woodbridge, VA     *http://members.aol.com/mgccwdcc/